Our Hair, Beauty and Wellness students and staff had huge success at the Hair and Beauty Industry Association awards this year, with a trophy haul of 10 awards.
The prestigious gala event is held once a year and recognises the champions of the industry. The competition is nation-wide, and fierce: apprentices and students work hard with their teachers to submit their work for recognition.
For Kylie Jackson, who took home one of the beautiful glass statues, it was an honour – and a surprise!
"I didn't for a minute believe that on the night of HBIA awards it would be my name that they would call out; that it was going to be me heading up to the stage accept such an incredible award,” she said. "This award will give me the courage and confidence I need to further my studies and work harder to fulfil my goals.
" Perhaps even more rewarding, the loved and respected teacher who had supported the students with their nominations won an award for Educator of the Year. For Hair, Beauty and Wellness teacher Lucia Poretti – Lucy to Chisholm students and staff – who began teaching at Chisholm over a decade ago after a successful career in the beauty industry, it is acknowledgement of the passion and purpose she puts into teaching.
“I have been honoured to receive this award. It is a true humbling moment and one that allows me to reflect on what I have accomplished.”
"It is a wonderful achievement for the students and Lucy,” said Hair, Beauty and Wellness Manager Lauren McCurley. Lucy is an integral part of the HBW team, a fantastic educator, mentor, nurturer and peer. She is always stepping forward to assist staff and students, ensuring that they achieve their goals.”
Join us in congratulating the winners!
- Educator of the Year (Make-up) – Lucy Poretti
- Certificate III in Makeup – Hailey Domanski (winner), Isabella Scarvo (encouragement award)
- Certificate IV Screen and Media – Shams Nazma
- Diploma Screen and Media – Georgia Thomas
- Certificate III in Beauty – Simone Porianko
- Certificate III in Hairdressing (full time) – Kylie Jackson
- Certificate III in Hairdressing Apprentice Stage 1 – Caitlin Weller (encouragement award)
- Barbering Apprentice Stage 2 – Jamie Willis (winner), Xavier Csuka-Knight (encouragement award).