Updated 27 March 2020

Chisholm continues to actively monitor the outbreak of the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) to ensure Chisholm’s response places the wellbeing of our students and community first. As the situation unfolds, we will be updating this page with key information.

About COVID-19

Information for apprentices and employers

How is Chisholm managing COVID-19?

Chisholm Institute continues to work closely with the Department of Education and Training (DET) and the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to plan for, and respond to, the current and potential impact of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) on our students, staff and the wider community.

Following advice and direction from the DHHS, we are undertaking a range of measures to minimise the health risks for our students and staff including:

  • implementing social distancing measures, such as staggering break times
  • postponing large student and community gatherings and events
  • encouraging good hygiene practices amongst students and staff, including washing hands regularly and increasing access to hand sanitiser and alcohol wipes
  • increasing routine cleaning activities in high traffic areas and large class / program areas that involve close contact or high-risk groups
  • providing regular information to students, staff and our business and industry partners.

Have any on-campus services been impacted?

At this time, we have amended our on-campus services as follows:

  • Attendance - unless otherwise advised, students are not required to attend classes on-campus from Wednesday 25 March until Tuesday 14 April, We will communicate directly with students to confirm arrangements for term 2.
  • Libraries - all Chisholm library spaces are closed from 26 March until further notice. Students and staff can access the extensive online resources and the library Chat line via the library website https://library.chisholm.edu.au. Library staff will continue to work and provide support by phone or webchat. In addition, the following spaces will be available for students to access computers, internet and printing with appropriate social distancing and hygiene practices in place:
    Dandenong campus – A324 –12 computers
    Berwick campus – A127 – 12 computers
    Cranbourne campus – A128 – 12 computers
    Frankston campus – A Foyer –12 computers including printing.
  • Support services - weekly on-campus student support at our regional (Mornington Peninsula and Bass Coast) campuses have been reduced. Students can still access support services by phone, videophone or email. Please contact us on Tel: 03 9212 5269 or email: studentservices@chisholm.edu.au . Apprenticeship Support Officers will be available on request.
  • Casey Tech School has ceased program delivery until the commencement of term two 2020, or until further advice is provided from DET. Casey Tech School staff remain available via telephone or email as required.
  • All appointments for Beauty, Hairdressing and Massage clients have been postponed until further notice.

Have any events been postponed?

On 23 March, in response to COVID-19, the Government advised that all non-essential organised gatherings are suspended.

These measures are intended to protect the health of our students, staff and the broader community. Subsequently, the following events have been postponed:

To remain up to date with student life at Chisholm, including changes to events and social clubs, be sure to visit Current Students.

We will continue to review all on-campus activities and will keep you updated with any changes.

Can I attend Chisholm if I feel unwell?

If you are unwell and suspect you may have COVID-19 (cold and flu like symptoms, including fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue and breathing difficulties), we request that you remain at home and seek medical advice.

Does Chisholm have any confirmed cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

At this stage, Chisholm does not have any suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19.

Will my work placement be affected?

If you have current placement arrangements confirmed, your placement coordinator will be in touch to confirm whether the placement will continue or be postponed to a later date. As Chisholm is currently considered an essential service, all academic and non-academic staff will continue to work and support students as required.

Will my short course still go ahead?

Whilst some short courses will go ahead, other may be postponed or cancelled. If your short course is cancelled, a full refund of fees will be provided.

If you are interested in completing the course at a later date or have any questions, please email: shortcourses@chisholm.edu.au.

Will Chisholm Institute shut down?

The Victorian government has advised that TAFE’s and training organisations are considered essential services. Any closures will be made on the recommendation of Victoria’s Chief Health Officer and the Department of Education and Training. Should this occur, the Department of Health and Human Services will inform the Department of Education and Training, who will then work with Chisholm to implement any form of closure.

What happens if Chisholm does shut down?

Should Chisholm close, either as a stand-alone closure, or as part of a local, area or sector based closure, we will advise our students, staff and the wider community as quickly as possible.

At that time, our contingency plans will be enacted. We are actively preparing for alternative ways of delivering our teaching and learning programs, and ways of working, should regular scheduled delivery be disrupted. This includes planning for the rescheduling of classes, enabling remote access to learning programs and negotiating alternate placement opportunities for students where possible.

Key Chisholm contacts:

For any Chisholm related COVID-19 questions, please feel free to contact us at COVID19enquiries@chisholm.edu.au or 1300 244 746.

To notify us of your travel, self-isolation, if you are undergoing a test for COVID-19 or if you have tested positive, please email: studentsafety@chisholm.edu.au.

Student Support offers free and confidential counselling, financial support and career advice. If you need extra help or are feeling overwhelmed or anxious, please contact us on 03 9212 5269 or email studentservices@chisholm.edu.au.